Friday, September 29, 2006

The Garifunas a little history

The last night I was in 'Triunfo de La Cruz' I chatted over few nice Coronas with this old Garifuna fella. He was a sort of Social Assistant worker.
He was employed by the government.
He was encharged of an education project for the Garifunas.

Triunfo Beach

I was interested in the Garifuna culture so I kept asking him questions.
He was telling me how concerned he was about the imminent loss of identity of the Garifuna community. The same old story.
The youngsters leave and go to the big cities abroad, in this case the USA, so they lose their own language and tradition. The local Garifuna youngsters don’t work anymore because they receive little amounts of giros from their relatives in the US. They dont have their traditional crafts or the delicious Yuca bread anymore.
The Garifuna were traditionally catholic but our old man was commenting about the increase of new churches in town, Jehová witnesses, baptists etc.... they were brought in from North America too.


My friend Antonio Blanco Rodriguez lives in El Salvador

Tony playing with the kids


There are plans already to build a big resort in the area. That will probably be the end of the Fisherman Garifuna Culture?

I really hope not...


Girls and Jeremy-Garifuna Kids

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garífuna

No comments: